Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Special Keepsakes

In my post yesterday I told you all about my family reunion this past Saturday. Well, my father's youngest sister, Jackie, had two special keepsakes that my two brothers had given her. These two brothers died at very young ages. She gave me the keepsakes at the reunion. It was so sweet of her to part with them. She had kept them for a lot of years. The keepsakes are in the picture below. The key was given to her by my brother, George. It is a small key that you would use in a bubble gum ball bank. The cross was given to her by my brother, Keith. If you put it up to your eye and look at the light through the middle clear stone you can see the Lord's prayer in it. She said Keith gave her the cross in 1960. He would have been 8 years old and George was 6. That was the year I was born. I am not sure if that is when George gave her the key or not. I will always treasure these two very special keepsakes and the aunt who gave them to me. She was just a little girl herself when they gave them to her. She was only two years older than Keith. This is a picture of my brother Keith and his wife and baby taken at Easter in 1972. Keith died at the age of 24 in a mobile home fire in 1976. If you read my very first post you will see a memory wall hanging I made in memory of him. Keith and I were very close. He was 8 years older than me and treated me like his little girl instead of his sister. I was only 16 when he died and I still miss him very much.
This is a picture of my brother George. He died at the age of 13 in a shooting accident in 1967. He is the only one of us who had red hair and blue eyes like our father. This was the last school photo taken of him. My parents got it back after he had died. The photo was actually black and white but George's eyes were almost totally closed in the picture and so my parents took it to a man who had a studio in town and he redid it in color and opened the eyes. His hair was really more auburn colored than the photo depicts. I don't remember a lot about George as I was only 7 when he died. But I do remember that he was very talented with his hands. He made a small table and chair and some clothes for one of my dolls. Surprising for a 13 year old boy!
This is my favorite picture of my two brothers. They were only 2 years apart in age and very close.
I do have another brother. His name is Freddy and he is 2 years older than me. I will post his picture later. He lives down in Florida and has a lovely family. We don't get to see him very often, but we talk on the phone when we can.

1 comment:

Sassy said...

That was so sweet of Jackie to give those to you.
You do such beautiful handwork.
Love ya,
Sassy